Homeless HealthPartners began as project of Maine Medical Center to provide outreach, engagement and medical care coordination services to Portland patients experiencing and at risk of homelessness.
Homeless HealthPartners is a partner of Maine Medical Center and the Preble Street Learning Collaborative, Preble Street and Greater Portland Health to ensure that patients who are homeless and living in poverty have access to health care services in the community.
Homeless HealthPartners helps at-risk patients get the care they need to stay healthy by:
- Gaining access to primary care services in the community
- Referring to specialty medical, behavioral health and social service providers
- Working with care providers across the health system
- Reducing use of emergency departments for needs that can be addressed in the primary care and/or behavioral health/social service setting
- Identifying needs, gaps and capacities in the health system as they relate specifically to Portland's homeless population
Who is involved in Homeless HealthPartners?
Homeless HealthPartners works with the following entities:
- Maine Medical Center and Preble Street Learning Collaborative
- Maine Medical Center Care Management
- Maine Medical Center Department of Medical Education
- Maine Medical Partners and MMP Population Health
- MaineHealth Accountable Care Organization
- MaineHealth Care at Home
- Brighton First Care
- City of Portland
- University of New England School of Social Work
- University of Southern Maine School of Nursing
- Portland YMCA
What does Homeless HealthPartners do?
Homeless HealthPartners gets patient referrals from Preble Street, Greater Portland Health, Maine Medical Center, Maine Medical Partners and MaineHealth service providers. Services are intended to be easy to access, short-term and focused on engaging in medical care.
Homeless HealthPartners is mobile and flexible, meaning we meet patients in the community, hospital, emergency department, shelter, soup kitchen or at their doctor’s office. Case managers can provide the following services:
- Accompany patients to medical appointments
- Connect patients to transportation and prescription medication programs
- Work to help patients understand health information
- Holistic case management for complete and integrated systems of support