Digital Breast Tomography (DBT)
We now offer the latest in breast cancer screening and diagnosis – Digital Breast Tomography (DBT), also known as 3D mammography.
What is DBT?
DBT takes images of the breast from many angles, making a layered 3-dimensional image. The radiologist is then able to look at the breast, one thin image at a time, almost like turning the pages in a book. This means there is much more detail in each image.
A DBT is similar to having a regular digital mammogram. The technologist will position you, compress your breast and take images. DBT is approved for all women who would have a regular digital mammogram, no matter your age, breast type, or if you need screening or diagnosis.
Benefits of DBT
- Improved cancer detection rates, especially for more invasive cancers
- A decrease in call-backs for more images
- The same or slightly lower x-ray dose than a regular digital mammogram
Is DBT covered by insurance?
The charge for DBT is in addition to a regular mammogram charge. All insurances cover DBT, including Medicare. However, please check your insurance policy or discuss with your provider that DBT meets all program requirements for coverage. Please note that benefits may vary.
How will I get my results?
Your results will be sent to your health care provider. Also, we will mail you a letter with the results.
Where is DBT available?
DBT is available at our Scarborough and Falmouth locations. If you are scheduled at our Bramhall location and want a DBT study, please contact us to reschedule. Please call our office at: 207-396-7750 or 800-540-1918.
Other Locations Include:
- Southern Maine Health Care - Call The Center For Breast Care at 207-283-7848
- Franklin Memorial Hospital - Call The Martha B. Webber Breast Care Center: Farmington location call 207-779-2375 and for the Androscoggin Valley Medical Arts Center in Livermore Falls call 207-779-2375
- Stephens Memorial Hospital – Call the Women’s Imaging Center at 207-744-6079