What is the Youth Peer Support Statewide Network?
The Youth Peer Support Statewide Network (YPSSN) is a new, growing resource open to any young adult in Maine. The YPSSN program is sponsored by Maine Behavioral Healthcare (MBH) and is open to any eligible young person in Maine, not just MBH patients.
YPSSN staff have all self-identified with the experience of mental health and/or substance use challenges and are specially trained in intentional peer support. This is not a clinical or treatment program. Program staff and participants support each other and build connections that help them better navigate the journey to a self-defined, meaningful life.
Both people in the 1-1 relationship work to respect each other and communicate honestly and clearly. The YPSSN supports self-determination, compassion, respect and transparency in all its activities through:
- 1-1 youth peer support (online and in-person)
- Drop-in hours (online and in-person)
- Support groups (online and in-person)
- Outdoor activities
- Advocacy opportunities
- Youth advisory board
Who is eligible for the program?
Frequently Asked Questions
Explore Youth Peer Support Careers
- We are currently hiring youth peer support partners in multiple locations. Review job opportunities and apply now.
- Call 207-396-7052 for assistance with the online application. If needed, we can also accept your resume and cover letter by email at YPSSN@mainehealth.org.
- Youth peer support partner positions are paid and can be full-time or part-time.
- We also offer benefits, including health insurance, paid time off, retirement account contribution, and tuition reimbursement up to $2000 per year.
- View our Youth Peer Support Careers Flyer
Join the YPSSN Youth Advisory Board
- As the YPSSN community grows and develops, we will look to the young people involved to drive the values, priorities, and services. To this end, we are recruiting for youth advisory board members who will attend meetings (currently online) and provide input and feedback on the development of the network.
- Any young person in Maine between the ages of 14 and 26 with a personal history of mental health and/or substance use challenges is eligible to participate. For more information, please review our flyer and contact us at YPSSN@mainehealth.org. Participation will be compensated.
Make a YPPSN Program Referral
- Would you like to refer someone to the program? Do you have questions that were not answered here? Email us at YPSSN@mainehealth.org or call 207-396-7052.
Check us out on Facebook
- Get the latest updates and connect with your peers athttps://www.facebook.com/YPSSNMaine/
Program staff will be based in Portland, Lewiston, Bangor and Penobscot, Piscataquis, and Aroostook counties. We are working to expand services to additional areas and accept program referrals from anywhere in Maine. The base locations on the map below indicate where staff will be located. For the county-level positions, participants may reside anywhere in the county. Satellite locations are towns where we expect to have drop-in space available.