Health Insurance Marketplace: Education and Enrollment Help
What is the Health Insurance Marketplace?
The Health Insurance Marketplace is a service that helps people shop for affordable health insurance. Typically, 85% of Mainers receive financial assistance to make the plans more affordable.
American Rescue Plan
On March 11, 2021 the American Rescue Plan was signed into law. It includes many benefits for the Affordable Care Act and Health Insurance Marketplace, which include:
- Keeping the Special Enrollment Period open until August 15, 2021.
- An average decrease in health insurance premiums by $50 per person or $85 per policy. Half of consumers may even be able to find a plan for less than $10 per month.
- Anyone below 150% of the Federal Poverty Level can enroll in a low cost premium plan
When can I sign up for health insurance?
Typically, Open Enrollment is from November 1 to December 15. In 2021, due to the American Rescue Plan, anyone is eligible to sign up under the Special Enrollment Period now through August 15.
Can I get help signing up for health insurance?
Yes! We have Certified Application Counselors (CACs) who will meet with you in-person, review your options, and help you apply & enroll through the Health Insurance Marketplace. Please call with questions or to set up an appointment with one of our CACs.
- Coverage Team at 207-662-7930
- Patient Assistance Line at 1-833-MHHELP1 (1-833-644-3571)
Can I enroll on my own?
Yes. There are two ways to apply and enroll on your own:
- Health Insurance Marketplace Calculator: Consumers can get estimates of their health insurance costs and government subsidies that they purchase through an Affordable Care Act marketplace. The calculator also helps consumers find out if they could be eligible for Medicaid.
- Health Insurance Explained: The YouToons Have It Covered breaks down important insurance concepts and explains how individuals pay for coverage and obtain medical care and prescription drugs when enrolled in various types of health insurance
- Understanding Health Care Reform
- Enroll America
- Small Business Association: Affordable Care Act Training Information
- How to get exempted from the fee for not having healthcare coverage
- FAQ For Seniors on Medicare and the Affordable Care Act
- 300 FAQs A searchable collection of questions and answers about all aspects of the ACA. Updated and new FAQs cover plan renewal, cancellations, financial assistance, guidance for understanding federal income taxes in the context of the health law, potential penalties for not obtaining coverage, exemptions to the individual mandate, how the law applies to people in different circumstances and more.