Health Insurance Marketplace: Education and Enrollment Help
What is the Health Insurance Marketplace?
The Health Insurance Marketplace is a service that helps people shop for affordable health insurance. More than 70,000 Mainers had health insurance through the Health Insurance Marketplace in 2019 and 85% received financial assistance to make the plans more affordable. Visit healthcare.gov to compare health coverage options and sign up for health insurance.
When can I sign up for health insurance?
The Open Enrollment period is November 1 to December 15, 2019. It is time to sign up! Coverage begins January 1, 2020.
Can I get help signing up for health insurance?
MaineHealth has team members in our Access to Care Programs: Coverage Team, CarePartners and MedAccess, called Certified Application Counselors who help people review their options for health insurance, apply, and enroll through the Health Insurance Marketplace. Please call with questions or to set up an appointment with one of the counselors.
- Coverage Team at 833-284-8816 office in Cumberland County
- CarePartners at 877-626-1684 offices in Cumberland, Knox, Lincoln, Oxford, Waldo and York counties
- MedAccess at 877-275-1787 offices in Cumberland, Knox, Lincoln, Oxford, Waldo, and York counties
Can I enroll on my own?
Yes. There are two ways to apply and enroll on your own:
- Visit healthcare.gov
- Call the Health Insurance Marketplace at 800-318-2596 (24 hours a day)
- Health Insurance Marketplace Calculator: Consumers can get estimates of their health insurance costs and government subsidies that they purchase through an Affordable Care Act marketplace. The calculator also helps consumers find out if they could be eligible for Medicaid.
- Health Insurance Explained: The YouToons Have It Covered breaks down important insurance concepts and explains how individuals pay for coverage and obtain medical care and prescription drugs when enrolled in various types of health insurance
- Understanding Health Care Reform
- Enroll America
- Small Business Association: Affordable Care Act Training Information
- How to get exempted from the fee for not having healthcare coverage
- FAQ For Seniors on Medicare and the Affordable Care Act
- 300 FAQs A searchable collection of questions and answers about all aspects of the ACA. Updated and new FAQs cover plan renewal, cancellations, financial assistance, guidance for understanding federal income taxes in the context of the health law, potential penalties for not obtaining coverage, exemptions to the individual mandate, how the law applies to people in different circumstances and more.