Southern Maine Health Care Eases Visitation Restrictions, Transitions COVID Vaccines to Primary Care Offices
June 22, 2021
Sanford Vaccine Clinic to remain open under York County EMA
SANFORD, Maine – As Maine’s vaccination rate continues to climb and cases of COVID-19 continue to drop, Southern Maine Health Care (SMHC) will ease visitation restrictions made during the pandemic to allow for more visitors, effective June 23. Masking and social distancing will still be required for all visitors.
To review the complete visitation policy, visit www.smhc.org. Restrictions that remain as part of the visitor policy include:
- Adult Inpatient units: Visitation hours are Monday – Friday, 11am to 6pm, and Saturday and Sunday, 10am to 3pm. There will be no limit to how many visitors a patient can have, however, we will allow only one visitor per patient at a time for distancing reasons.
- Obstetrics: Up to 2 spouse/coaches at a time. Doulas also permitted when the obstetrician is aware of their requested presence and they have been part of the prenatal process.
- Pediatrics: Two parents/guardians allowed in all areas, provided space is sufficient to achieve compliance with social distancing.
- Emergency: One person at a time permitted to accompany patient, provided space is sufficient to achieve compliance with social distancing. Pediatric patients may be accompanied by two parents/guardians, provided space is sufficient to achieve compliance with social distancing.
- Ambulatory/Diagnostic Areas: Adult patients may come with one adult visitor/escort at a time for drop-off and pick-up unless they need special assistance. Surgical patients may come with one adult escort/support person as long as space allows. Pediatric patients may be accompanied by two parents/guardians, provided space is sufficient to achieve compliance with social distancing.
- SMHC Physician Practices: One visitor per patient.
- Exception: Visitation for end-of-life situations will be managed by the Care Team.
SMHC will also transition the administration of COVID vaccines for SMHC patients to its primary care offices in Biddeford, Sanford, Kennebunk and Saco, and to its Walk-In Centers in mid-July. York County EMA will continue to offer walk-in vaccines at former Marshall’s store in Sanford.
“We are so proud that we were able to play such a large role in vaccination efforts in York County, and glad to have partnered with York County EMA and other municipalities. We put more than 40,000 shots in arms during our clinic, helping to prevent COVID infection and spread in our community,” said Dr. Michael Albaum, Chief Medical Officer of Southern Maine Health Care. “Given the great response of York County residents in getting vaccinated, we are ready to allow more visitation in our facilities and to transition vaccine delivery to our primary care sites.”
Eligible patients will be offered vaccination at their already scheduled appointments and planning is underway to offer vaccination only appointments in the future. Vaccinations will also be available through our walk-in clinics in mid-July. Patients should contact their primary care office with questions.
The Sanford clinic will continue to offer both the Pfizer and Johnson & Johnson vaccine Tuesdays and Thursdays, 5 – 8pm and Saturday, 8am – noon.
Information about statewide vaccination efforts and vaccine availability can be found on the State of Maine Vaccine Information Site.
Both SMHC and York County EMA thank the dozens of community volunteers who joined the SMHC and York County EMA team members in the clinic since it opened in February. A special recognition event will be held to celebrate the volunteers later this month.
About Southern Maine Health Care
Southern Maine Health Care (SMHC) is a national award-winning healthcare organization with a non-profit mission “to improve the health and health care of the communities we serve.” SMHC includes a full service, acute care medical center in Biddeford, with York County’s only inpatient mental health unit. Emergency care, surgical services and diagnostic and therapy services are available at SMHC’s Medical Centers in Biddeford and Sanford. SMHC offers primary care and multi-specialty physician services, diagnostic and therapy services and Walk-In Care centers in York County communities including Biddeford, Kennebunk, Saco, Sanford and Waterboro. SMHC is Joint Commission accredited and has been recognized for quality excellence by numerous outside organizations. SMHC is part of the MaineHealth system, a growing family of health care services in northern New England. To learn more, visit www.smhc.org.