Southern Maine Health Care puts new visitation restrictions in place in response to COVID-19
November 17, 2020
BIDDEFORD, Maine – In response to the ongoing pandemic, Southern Maine Health Care (SMHC) is immediately implementing temporary visitor restrictions. This is being done to help prevent or limit community spread of the virus. The new guidelines for visitors are as follows:
- SMHC visitation hours are now limited to Monday - Friday 3 pm to 6 pm; Weekends 9 am – Noon
- Hospital Inpatients areas:
- Critical Care: Two visitors daily
- Obstetrics: One spouse/coach allowed in labor and delivery area
- All other inpatient areas: One visitor daily
- COVID-19 Patients: No visitors except for end-of-life
- Emergency Department: No visitors allowed in the waiting rooms. Pediatric patients may be accompanied by two parents/guardians.
- Outpatient Surgery, Procedural Areas, Ambulatory/Diagnostic Areas: Patients should come alone or arrange for drop-off and pick-up unless they need special assistance. Pediatric patients may be accompanied by two parents/guardians.
All visitors/escorts are subject to screening for COVID-19. Visitors/escorts with any COVID-19 symptoms will NOT be allowed to enter SMHC facilities.
Visitors and Escorts Must:
- Perform hand hygiene prior to entering and upon leaving the patient’s room/care area;
- Remain at least six feet from the patient at all times (as much as possible);
- Wear a mask at all times in the facility, including patient rooms;
- Cover mouth/nose when coughing or sneezing, use and dispose of tissues and perform hand hygiene after contact with respiratory secretions; and
- Not go to any locations in the facility other than the room of the patient they are visiting. Hospital cafeterias are closed to visitors.
To learn more, visit www.smhc.org.
About Southern Maine Health Care
Southern Maine Health Care (SMHC) is a national award-winning healthcare organization with a non-profit mission “to improve the health and health care of the communities we serve.” SMHC includes a full service, acute care medical center in Biddeford, with York County’s only inpatient mental health unit. Emergency care, surgical services and diagnostic and therapy services are available at SMHC’s Medical Centers in Biddeford and Sanford. SMHC offers primary care and multi-specialty physician services, diagnostic and therapy services and Walk-In Care centers in York County communities including Biddeford, Kennebunk, Saco, Sanford and Waterboro. SMHC is Joint Commission accredited and has been recognized for quality excellence by numerous outside organizations. SMHC is part of the MaineHealth system, a growing family of health care services in northern New England. To learn more, visit smhc.org.