Apply & Contact
Follow us on Instagram and Twitter: @MaineMedSurgery
Instructions for Applicants
MMC participates in the National Resident Matching Program (NRMP). This process selects all PGY-1 residents in the institution. The general surgery residency program has four categorical positions, one non-designated preliminary position in general surgery and one designated preliminary position for interventional radiology.
The general surgery residency program accepts all applications. For applicants with whom we do not have a firsthand relationship*, there are specific screening criteria:
NBME – Step 1 > 220 or Step 2 > 245. We do make occasional exceptions, based on the strength of the applicant’s full application. Please note that we will offer interviews to applicants who only have a step 1 score, but will not rank any applicant without both scores.
Osteopathic Applicants: We accept, have ranked and matched osteopathic applicants. We do not use COMLEX in lieu of the NBME exams.
International Medical Graduates: We accept, have ranked and matched IMGs to both preliminary and categorical positions. We will not offer an interview to an IMG unless we have a firsthand relationship with them.
*First hand relationship: someone who has completed a clinical rotation with us, or has a direct working relationship with a resident or faculty member of the general surgery program. (Please note we do not offer observerships.)
For the 2020-2021 interview season (PGY-1 beginning July 2021) applications will be accepted ONLY through the Electronic Residency Application Service (ERAS).
In addition to the ERAS application we require the following:
- Transcript of your medical school grades
- Dean’s letter
- Three (3) letters of recommendation
- USMLE scores
The deadline for receipt of applications is November 30, 2020. We will not review any applications received after this date.
October 21, 2020: The Residency leadership begins reviewing each applicant’s file via ERAS.
Friday, October 30, 2020, 12:00pm EST: First group of interview offers sent out via Thalamus (to those with whom we have a firsthand relationship and a small group of selected other applicants).
Friday, November 13, 2020, 12:00pm EST: Second group of interview offers set out via Thalamus (to most of the other selected candidates).
Friday, December 4, 2020, 12:00pm EST: Final interview offers sent out via Thalamus.
(Please note that whichever of the three groupings of interview offers an invited applicant is in bears no weight in the interview process.)
Friday, December 4, 2020: Applicants not selected to interview will be notified of their status via ERAS.
December, 2020 – January, 2021: Interview dates (see below).
Due to COVID-19, the recruitment process will be entirely virtual. We will conduct them via Thalamus.
- Ten (10) interview dates
- From beginning of December to late January
- Two days per week – times to be determined
- No interviews are scheduled between December 14th and January 7th
- Our residents will be available at the end of your interview for Q&A and a virtual tour of the hospital
- We will continue to offer interviews until our dates are filled
- We will not offer more interviews than we have available interview slots
- With the caveat that invited applicants have one (1) week to respond to offer of an interview
Wait List Details
- Once all interview dates are filled, we will offer a small number of applicants a place on the wait list for when there are inevitable cancellations
- Applicants who receive an interview from the wait list are at no disadvantage to anyone else interviewing with the program
- For those on the wait list, we will communicate interview openings throughout the interview season (sometimes on quite short notice)
Please feel free to contact the Residency Program Manager at any time through the application process.
Surgical Residency Program Manager