Spiritual and Pastoral Care Services
What is spiritual care?
Care of the human spirit is critical to health. It is the work of our entire staff. Chaplains, however, are specially-trained in human understanding, pastoral counseling, religious and cultural traditions. Chaplains are available to all Southern Maine Health Care patients and their loved ones. We provide a listening presence, guidance in mindfulness and prayer, support through decision-making, and help finding purpose and meaning.
What can I expect from a Chaplain?
Our chaplains provide emotional support and gentle spiritual guidance when people are:
- Feeling anxious, afraid or upset
- Struggling with emotional, spiritual or religious questions or with the meaning of an illness
- Wrestling with difficult treatment choices or ethical dilemmas
- Observing spiritual practices or religious rites
- Inviting your faith community leader
- Dealing with difficult news
- Preparing mindfully for surgery