Bariatric and Weight Loss Surgery
Bariatric surgery can benefit patients with obesity by helping with weight loss, improving medical conditions, and increasing overall quality of life. Patients thinking about this surgery can rely on the providers at MaineHealth to offer safe treatment for weight loss surgery.
What is Bariatric Surgery?
Bariatric surgery helps with weight loss by limiting the amount of food the stomach can hold. Most weight loss surgeries are laparoscopic and minimally invasive. We will work with patients to help them create and maintain healthy habits. A healthy diet and regular exercise are important to achieve optimal health following surgery. Common bariatric surgery procedures include:
- Roux-en-Y Gastric bypass
- Vertical sleeve gastrectomy
- Adjustable gastric band
Are You a Candidate for Bariatric Surgery?
Patients need to be obese with a BMI of 40 or more and meet other criteria, set by the National Institutes of Health, in order to have bariatric surgery. You can talk with your health care provider to find out if you are a candidate for bariatric surgery. Criteria include:
- A body mass index (BMI) of 40 or greater
- A BMI of 35 or more and at least 2 other health related health conditions (hypertension, type 2 diabetes, heart disease, gastrointestinal disorders, sleep apnea, etc.)
- Inability to lose weight and keep it off with lifestyle changes or medications
- An understanding of the risks and benefits of weight loss surgery, and a commitment to lifelong changes in eating habits and exercise
Here's how to access weight loss programs and bariatric surgery resources for obese patients:
A team of healthcare providers offer various services to qualified patients for weight loss surgery. Those services include:
- Evaluation of weight status before and after surgery
- Information sessions and support groups
- Nutrition education and counseling
- Individual assessment with the nurse, dietitian, and social worker
The Southern Maine Health Care’s Weight Loss Surgery and Weight Management Program provides bariatric surgery and weight management programs to help patients who are significantly overweight achieve long-term weight loss.
In addition to weight management counseling and education, SMHC offers the Roux-en Y Gastric Bypass and Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy surgeries. A team approach is used to ensure patient success throughout the entire weight loss surgery process.
Support networks play an important role in helping weight loss surgery patients before and after their surgery. Our supportive staff members are available to help with concerns and answer questions about any stage of the surgery process.