Patient and Family Advisory Council
The Patient & Family Advisory Council (PFAC) serves as a formal organization of current and former patients and family members who are working with and provide input to Pen Bay Medical Center and Waldo County General Hospital staff to continuously improve patient and family healthcare experiences.
Council members collaborate with caregivers, staff and hospital management to champion patient safety and patient and family centered care.
We also work to create awareness of the role of the PFAC at PBMC and WCGH and to encourage broad community participation.
The Patient and Family Advisory Council (PFAC) has been established as part of Pen Bay Medical Center (PBMC) and Waldo County General Hospital (WCGH) to promote patient-centered care and to establish a formal link between patients and family members from Midcoast Maine communities and staff at PBMC and WCGH healthcare facilities. An active PFAC is also an important part of PBMC and WCGH participation in accreditation organizations such as the National Committee for Quality Assurance (NCQA) and its Patient Centered Medical Home model which is focused on the principles of the right care, in the right amount, at the right time.
PFAC serves as a formal organization of current and former patients and family members who are engaged in and committed to working with PBMC and WCGH staff to continuously improve patient and family experiences.
- To collaborate with staff and to address current issues from a patient and family perspective.
- To work with staff to help ensure that patient and family perspectives and choices are acknowledged and respected.
- To gain and share patient and family input, establish a link between PBMC, WCGH and the greater community and to identify patient needs.
- To work with staff to review and discuss quality improvement reports about ongoing efforts to improve healthcare practices and outcomes.
- To participate with staff in appropriate policy and program development, implementation and evaluation, in healthcare facility design, in professional education and in the delivery of innovative solutions.
- To gain a better understanding of the hospital and ambulatory departments and services offered at PBMC and WCGH and to provide feedback.
- To work to create awareness of PFAC’s role in the community and to encourage broad participation.
- To understand, provide feedback and/ or establish action steps for goals set by MaineHealth and/or PBMC and WCGH that impact patient care.
Candidates need to be, or to have been, PBMC or WCGH patients or family members. PBMC and WCGH employees who have been patients or family members may also be considered.
The membership process begins with an application. Application forms are available at the PFAC web page or in your healthcare provider’s office.
Applications will be reviewed by staff and PFAC chairpersons or membership committee members.
Members are expected to attend a majority of meetings per year. Meetings are held the fourth Monday of each month from 11:30 a.m.-1 p.m. in video conference rooms at both PBMC and WCGH.
Once accepted, members sign a PFAC statement of confidentiality and will receive a PFAC new member packet with orientation material.
For questions, more information, or to apply, please call 207-301-8495.