This is an update to the visitor rules posted on Friday, March 20, 2020, updated on June 16, on July 20 and again on November 18. This latest update will take effect on December 4, 2020 and shall remain in effect until further notice.
MaineHealth Visitor Policy - Effective 12/04/20
Visitors/escorts are not permitted on hospital campuses, except the following:
Hospital Inpatient Areas:
- Pediatrics: Two parents/guardians at a time allowed in all areas
- Obstetrics: One spouse/coach allowed
- All other inpatient areas including critical care: No visitors except as needed for care plan discussions at the time of admission or as arranged with the care team.
- End-of-Life Care: Up to four family members may visit patients likely to expire within 24 hours (all areas). Visit times to be managed by the care team. This permission is not to extend beyond one day.
- Patients in isolation for COVID-19 infection or being evaluated for COVID-19 infection: No visitors except for end-of-life.
Patient Discharges: Patients will be brought to an appropriate entrance for pick up.
Outpatient Surgery and Procedural Areas: Adult patients should arrange for drop-off and pick-up unless they need special assistance. Exceptions can be made in advance for patients who do not live locally. Pediatric patients may be accompanied by two parents/guardians.
Emergency Department (ED): Visitors are not allowed to wait in the ED. Exceptions will be made for care plan discussions as arranged with the care team or for end of life. Pediatric patients may be accompanied by two parents/guardians.
Ambulatory/Diagnostic Areas: Adult patients should come alone or arrange for drop-off and pick-up unless they need special assistance. Pediatric patients may be accompanied by two parents/guardians.
Patients Requiring Special Assistance: Patients in any care setting who need help — such as with mobility or communications with the care team about their medical history or care — may be assisted by an adult escort to provide the needed assistance or support. Such necessity will be determined by the care team.
All visitors/escorts are subject to screening. Visitors/escorts with any COVID-19 symptoms will NOT be allowed to enter hospital facilities.
- Perform hand hygiene prior to entering and upon leaving the patient’s room/care area;
- Wear a mask at all times in the facility; and
- Not go to any locations in the facility other than the room of the patient they are visiting. Hospital cafeterias are closed to visitors.
These restrictions are for the protection of patients, employees, visitors, and the public, and consistent with guidance from governmental authorities, and are adopted for the purpose of reducing the potential for propagation of the COVID-19 virus. These restrictions are imposed by order of the MaineHealth President and Chief Medical Officer.