The anesthesiology residency at MMC is a categorical program. We received approval to increase our class size from 5 to 8 residents per year. Our full complement will increase from 20 to 32 residents.
From the beginning, interns are included in department activities. They attend didactic sessions when possible. They rotate within the internal medicine department and have several rotations throughout the year with the anesthesia department. Interns begin their boot camp during June of their intern year.
At a Glance:
- 23 Residents - small program - increasing to 32 residents over the next 4 years
- High clinical case load volume
- Over 50 staff anesthesiologists
- MMC – Referral base for over 1.3 million people from Maine and New Hampshire
- Over 600 beds, 54 anesthetizing locations
- Only Level I trauma center in Maine, largest north of Boston
- Modernization Project
- Regional leader – open heart surgery, kidney transplantation, pediatric surgery, OB and Neurosurgery
- Residents assigned advisors during PGY1 year.
- Meetings with advisors and program director every (6) months to assess progress and career plans
- State of the art simulation center
- Affiliated with Tufts University School of Medicine
- Rural and International rotation opportunities
- 100% Board pass rate
- One of the only programs in the nation to provide call breaks to residents during their 24 hour call shift, Monday-Friday.
- PGY 1 Residents are given a day off during the beginning of the PGY1 year to allow them to set up appointment with local providers.
- CA1- CA3 residents allowed one didactic afternoon per quarter (when nothing else is scheduled) for appointments or other needed life balance activities
- Portland lifestyle – encourages wellness
- World-class hiking, sailing, skiing, and beaches, to name but a few, make this an attractive area in which to live and work.
- Wide range of living experiences spanning both urban and rural
- Residents commonly live in Portland, South Portland, Gorham, Scarborough, Cumberland, and Westbrook
- Despite recent influx of people to this area, home prices remain reasonable compared to our regional counterparts
- Residents receive discounted ski passes at Shawnee Peak
- Highly ranked public school systems in the Portland area
- Easy access to Portland International Jetport or Boston Logan International Airport
- Ability to rent sailboats through the HAS
- Residents are eligible for the Healthy Payback program
- Social events –For all residents and department sponsored events
- Residents attend yearly team bonding event at Kennebec River
- Department events include hockey games, happy hours, trivia nights
List of Resident Involvement
- Anesthesia residents have held elected positions in MMC House Staff Association (President)
- Appointed positions in Maine Society of Anesthesiologists, Maine Medical Association
- Hospital department committees (HVAC, Quality Improvement, Wellness, Transfusion/Blood Bank, etc.)
- Tufts University School of Medicine Admissions committee
- All residents attend Program Evaluation Committee meetings
- Portland Maine, 2018 Restaurant City of the Year
- Bethel, Maine named America’s best ski town
- Maine, Safest State in America
- Top US Beer City, Brewbound
- Two Maine breweries made beer rating website RateBeer.com’s list of the “Best Brewers in the World for the Year 2019”
- Ogunquit Beach, #15 on Tripadvisor’s top 25 beaches in the United States