Apply & Contact
The Maine Medical Center (MMC) Geriatric Medicine Fellowship Program aims to provide superior training in geriatric medicine with the goal of developing strong clinical leaders and educators. Candidates with experience in these areas are sought. Fellows are selected from among eligible applicants on the basis of their ability, aptitude, academic credentials, communication skills, and personal qualities such as motivation and integrity.
All applicants must meet ACGME requirements. Graduates from both internal medicine and family medicine programs are encouraged to apply. MMC will sponsor J-visas only. H-visas are not sponsored for graduate medical education. MMC supports one geriatric medicine fellowship position each year.
Applications should be submitted through the Electronic Residency Application Service (ERAS). Exceptions may be made with the permission of the program director (e.g. candidates applying for remaining positions after the match). All applicants are expected to furnish the same materials as if they were applying through ERAS:
- Recommendation letters from your program director and 2 other attending physicians you have worked with in a clinical setting
- Medical school transcripts
- USMLE or COMLEX transcripts
- International graduates must be certified by the Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates (ECFMG)
- Personal statement
Our application review procedures follow evidence-based and nationally endorsed strategies to support mission-driven, ongoing and systematic recruitment of a diverse and inclusive workforce of fellows. Supported strategies include:
- The use of holistic review to evaluate all aspects of an application to look for ‘distance-traveled’, utilizing highest standards of practice, as described by the AAMC Holistic Review | AAMC
- Blinding photographs of candidates until just prior to interviews
- Use of behavioral interviewing techniques, intentionally looking for candidate strength in criteria relevant to the program
As of August 2021, all interviews will be held virtually. Interviews are by invitation only. We evaluate each application prior to extending an invitation to interview. A formal interview is required to be considered for our program.
Bethany Yale, Program Manager
66 Bramhall Street, Suite G1
Portland, Maine 04102