Thank you for considering Maine Medical Center Outpatient Psychiatry as your behavioral health provider. We treat children, adolescents, adults, and geriatric patients. Services include:
- Individual and family psychotherapy for persons of all ages
- Intensive outpatient services for adults
- Partial hospitalization program for adults
- Medication management
- Group psychotherapy for teens and adults
- One-time psychiatric consultation for persons of all ages
Telehealth Services for Current Patients
The following documents are for patients who are receiving, or would like to receive, outpatient psychiatry services via telehealth.
- Outpatient Mental Health Services Consent
- Consent to Participate in a Telehealth Encounter
- Authorization to Release & Disclose Protected Healthcare Information (PHI)
- Authorization to Release Patient Mental Health Information (PHI)
- Psychotropic Medication Consent
- Controlled Substance Agreement
- A referral from your Primary Care Provider or family doctor is required, regardless of your insurance coverage. Please call the Outpatient Referral Center at 207-662-2221 and select the option for New Patient.
- An Outpatient Referral Coordinator will call you to conduct a brief intake interview. The coordinator will ask you about: current behavioral or emotional concerns, treatment goals, patient name, date of birth, insurance information, and basic demographics (e.g. county of residence).
- Once the intake call is completed, you will be transferred to an appointment scheduler. Usually, appointments can be scheduled within four weeks, though wait times may vary.
- For your first appointment, please remember to:
- Arrive 30 minutes early
- Bring your insurance card and co-payment
- Bring any information you have regarding previous testing, treatment and medications
Urgent Needs and Emergencies
If you are having a mental health crisis and need to speak with someone prior to your next scheduled appointment:
- Call 207-662-2221 to leave a message for your provider (unless they have provided another contact method)
- After normal business hours, call 207-662-2221 and follow the pre-recorded instructions
- For additional help at any time, this infographic will help direct you to recommended resources in Maine
For emergencies, please go to your nearest Emergency Department or call 9-1-1.
Outpatient psychiatry consultations are provided to physicians, physician assistants and nurse practitioners as a one-time only appointment, referred by a physician to a physician.
For this service, please call 207-662-2221.
A licensed physician supervises all staff, reviews each patient’s treatment, and may meet with each patient along with other clinical team members.
The Department of Psychiatry follows State and Federal HIPAA guidelines on confidentiality for behavioral health and chemical dependency services. Privacy practices are explained in the Notice of Health Information Privacy Practices.
No information about a patient’s treatment can be shared without that patient’s or guardian’s consent, except in a few circumstances explained in the Maine Medical Center Patient Care Partnership: Understanding, Expectations, Rights & Responsibilities booklet.
All MMC Psychiatry Outpatient Divisions follow the Rights of Recipients of Mental Health Services of the Maine Department of Behavioral and Developmental Services.
If clinics are closed/delayed or opening/closing early to for weather or other unforeseeable circumstances, our reminder-call system will send a message to scheduled patients with this information.
Our telephone message will also reflect any changes to clinic operating hours. Local television stations WMTW Channel 8 and WGME Channel 13 will also communicate any office closures or delays.
If you are unsure if the office is open, please call before coming to your appointment.
Upon your request, our Patient Accounts Office will provide you with a list of fees for the services you or your family member have received. For your convenience, we also provide Financial Counselors to help you determine how to pay your bills.
The patient or their legal representative is responsible for all fees incurred for treatment at Maine Medical Center. We must receive complete and accurate information in order to determine your financial obligation and to properly bill your insurer. Please notify us if you have a change in your insurance or other information at check-in.
Co-payments are due when you check in for your appointment. If you do not make three consecutive co-payments, the office staff will review your status with your provider before another appointment is made. You will receive a statement at the end of each month listing the charges for the services you received. Payments are due within 30 days of receipt of the bill, unless other arrangements have been made.