Cerebral palsy is a disorder that can affect movement, posture and balance. This condition usually shows up in the first few years of life.
Maine Medical Center offers the only multi-disciplinary cerebral palsy clinics for children in Maine. We bring multiple specialists together for one visit with your child to provide comprehensive, team-based care in one, convenient visit. Our board-certified physicians care for children with all types of cerebral palsy. Our goal is to maximize function and help each child achieve the highest possible quality of life.
Cerebral Palsy Treatment
We develop personalized treatment plans that meet the unique needs of each child. Depending on the type and severity of the condition, that plan may include:
- Physical therapy
- Occupational therapy
- Limb bracing
- Management of baclofen pump (ITB therapy) to reduce severe spasticity caused by cerebral palsy
- Orthopedic surgery - in partnership with specialty-trained pediatric orthopedic surgeons
- Botulinum toxin injections with light anesthesia or numbing medicine (per parent preference) to make this spasticity treatment as painless and accessible as possible
- Social work
- Wheelchair evaluations
High-Quality Cerebral Palsy Care, Close to Home
We care for children with all types of cerebral palsy.
- Ataxic - causes problems with balance and coordination
- Athetoid - causes uncontrolled movements
- Dystonia - abnormal muscle tone/posture and spasm
- Movement disorders - related to athetoid CP and dystonic type CP
- Spastic - causes stiff muscles
Cerebral palsy is also categorized by the affected body parts.
- Diplegic Cerebral Palsy - both legs are affected (arms may be affected but to a lesser extent)
- Hemiplegic Cerebral Palsy - one side of the body (one arm and one leg) is affected
- Quadriplegic Cerebral Palsy - both arms and legs are affected (the muscles of the trunk, face and mouth are often also affected)
Many children who have been diagnosed with cerebral palsy also experience epileptic seizures. Our goal is to provide centralized neurological care for cerebral palsy patients - providing access to coordinated services by multiple providers in a single visit.
Maine Medical Center participates in many different clinical trials and research projects. Please contact us for a current list and more information.
92 Campus Drive
Scarborough, ME 04074
Phone: 207- 883-1414