Patients & Visitors
Whether you are a patient or a visitor, we want your Maine Medical Center experience to be as pleasant as possible. The information below should answer many of your questions. And once you arrive, our Customer Service Representatives are here to help in person. We look forward to providing you and your loved ones with a supportive and healing health care experience.
New Visitor Policy - Effective 6/23/21
To help prevent further community spread of COVID-19, we have implemented temporary visitor restrictions at Maine Medical Center as of June 23, 2021.
- Adult Inpatient units: Visitor hours from 8 am to 8 pm daily. No limit to how many visitors a patient can have, though we will allow only one visitor at a time for distancing reasons.
- Pediatrics and Obstetrics: No limit to how many visitors a patient can have, though we will only allow two visitors at a time, provided space is sufficient to achieve compliance with social distancing. View additional visitor rules specific to The Barbara Bush Children's Hospital and the MMC Family Birth Center.
- Emergency Department: One person permitted to accompany patient, two parents/guardians for pediatric patients, provided space is sufficient to achieve compliance with social distancing. Exceptions may be made for care plan discussions as arranged with the Care Team or for end of life.
- Ambulatory/Diagnostic areas: Adult patients should arrange for drop-off and pick-up unless they need special assistance. Exceptions can be made in advance for patients who do not live locally. Pediatric patients may be accompanied by two parents/guardians, provided space is sufficient to achieve compliance with social distancing.
- COVID units: No visitors except for compassionate care, to be managed by Care Team.
- MMP Practices: One visitor per patient.
- Patients Requiring Special Assistance: Patients in any care setting who need help — such as with mobility or communications with the care team about their medical history or care — may be assisted by an adult escort to provide the needed assistance or support. Such necessity will be determined by the care team.
- Exception: Visitation for end-of-life situations will be managed by the Care Team.
All visitors and escorts must:
- Perform hand hygiene prior to entering and upon leaving the patient’s room/care area;
- Remain at least six feet from the patient at all times (as much as possible);
- Wear a mask at all times in the facility, including patient rooms;
- Cover mouth/nose when coughing or sneezing, use and dispose of tissues and perform hand hygiene after contact with respiratory secretions; and
- Not go to any locations in the facility other than the room of the patient they are visiting. Hospital cafeterias are open to visitors for food purchase only; no dining.
All visitors/escorts are subject to screening for COVID-19. Visitors/escorts with any COVID-19 symptoms will NOT be allowed to enter hospital facilities.
Weapons of any kind are prohibited from all MaineHealth facilities and locations.
These restrictions are for the protection of patients, employees, visitors and the public, are consistent with guidance from governmental authorities, and are adopted for the purpose of reducing the potential for propagation of the COVID-19 virus.