Healthy Hospital Food
MaineHealth is dedicated to patient and employee health. That commitment extends to dining and food service at all MaineHealth hospitals, and includes:
- Offering more fruits and vegetables
- Offering more plant-based meals
- Making healthy meals more affordable
- Encouraging healthier drink choices
- Serving more local food
- Implementing sustainable practices (e.g., composting)
- Preparing healthier recipes
- Labeling foods with nutrition information
- Marketing healthy foods in cafeterias and on menus
- Cooking food that looks good, tastes good and is good for you, too!
Through the passion of our system's food service directors and their teams, MaineHealth is making great strides in improving access to healthy foods and beverages for patients, employees, families and communities.
Are you a hospital food service professional? Visit our resource page.
Healthy Hospital Food: What We Focus On
MaineHealth food service departments are maintaining or implementing the following three commitment areas:
- Create healthier checkouts: Offer only health-promoting food options within five feet of all cafeteria cash register stations.
- Ensure healthy marketing: Display only health-promoting food or meal options that meet the MyPlate standards in advertising/pictorials in cafeteria and on patient menu.
- Implement calorie labeling: Ensure all items available in cafeteria are labeled with calories per serving at point of purchase/service.
- Let’s Go! 5-2-1-0
- Health Care Without Harm
- Maine Hospital Association
- MaineHealth Works on Wellness Employee Health Program
For more information about healthy hospital food, email us.