For more than 15 years the Provider Leadership Development Fellowship (PLDF) program has striven to offer the best content to fit the needs of future provider leaders. Thanks to a grant from the MaineHealth Accountable Care Organization (MHACO), we are now able to add executive coaching to the benefits our fellows receive.
The Coaching Academy will train a group of MaineHealth-employed professionals to provide fellows the full benefits of the 360 assessments and professional development coaching during their fellowship. Training will focus on two areas: coach training and the Leadership Practice Inventory 360 assessment.
- Coach Training: Individuals interested in working within the program as coaches will go through an extensive external coaching training, and then serve as internal coaches to PLDF fellows. Training will be provided through the Center for Executive Coaching, an International Coach Federation (ICF) approved training program that trains and certifies executive and leadership coaches at major organizations around the world. Training will consist of a virtual Core Program completed over a 2 – 4 month period.
- Leadership Practice Inventory 360 Assessment: The Leadership Practices Inventory® (LPI) is a highly effective leadership assessment tool. Based on the “5 Practices of Exemplary Leaders” as described by Kouzes & Posner in “The Leadership Challenge,” the PLDF program utilizes this assessment to help fellows identify areas of strength and need for improvement. Coaching trainees will go through a deep-dive, virtual, 3-hour training, to learn how to interpret the LPI 360 assessment to help fellows interpret their own assessment and create an individual development plan.
- Who is the Coaching Academy for? The PLDF Program wants to invest in MaineHealth-employed professionals who have an interest and passion for coaching and the skills to be a good listener, mentor, collaborator, and agile speaker, while demonstrating humility and compassion.
- Time Commitment: Participants are asked to commit to 3 - 4 hours per week of a combination of synchronous and asynchronous training over the course of 2 - 4 months to complete the Core Program from the Center for Executive Coaching. Training is flexible to fit your schedule. Upon completion of the Core Program, you are expected to coach up to four fellows during the 2024 - 2025 PLDF program over the course of 14 months. Please carefully consider the time necessary to complete the program before applying.
- Cost: The Coaching Academy is free for MaineHealth participants with the expectation that you will complete all requirements of the Core Program, a value of $4,900. After completing the Core Program, you have the option to complete full ICF certification, a value of $2,500, which is also free to you.
More About the Coaching Academy
There is no formal application form to fill out, but you must submit all of the following documents to be considered for the Coaching Academy program:
- A short essay, 500 words or less, about why you’re interested in the Coaching Academy
- A brief letter of recommendation from a colleague
- A brief letter of support from your manager or director
Email your submissions to Leah Schneckloth, email@example.com, by March 24, 2023.
Please note the timeline for the application and acceptance process below:
- March 24, 2023: Application submission deadline (applications will be reviewed upon receipt)
- March 27 – April 7, 2023: Application review and call-back interview
Training and Program Timeline:
- May 2023: Core Program training with Center for Executive Coaching opens
- October 31, 2023: Core Program training is complete
- December 2023: LPI 360 Assessment 3-hour virtual training
- January 2024: PLDF Introductory session for 2024-25 cohort
Coaching is another tool to expand the leadership and providers develop in the program. Coaching helps reinforce skills and knowledge, while providing guidance and feedback.
Who would be a good candidate for the Coaching Academy?
The best candidates will have a passion for coaching and the skills to be a good listener, mentor, collaborator and agile speaker, while demonstrating humility and compassion.
Who will administer the training?
The PLDF program has partnered with the Center for Executive Coaching to provide synchronous and asynchronous training for their Core Program. Please see the attached brochure for more information.
What is the total time commitment?
The Core Program training is 3 - 4 hours a week over 2 - 4 months. Coaching of the fellows during the PLDF Program is spread out over 14 months, January 2024 – 2025.
Is the training schedule flexible?
Yes, the synchronous and asynchronous training is flexible. The Center for Executive Coaching offers 12 classes a week at varying days and times.
When does training start and finish?
Please see the timeline on page 4.
What is the expectation after I complete the Core Program training?
Upon completion of the Core Program, as part of your commitment, you will coach up to four fellows during the 2024 - 2025 PLDF program over the course of 14 months.
What is the cost of the program?
There is no cost to you for the Core Program training through the Center for Executive Coaching.
What if I want to continue to earn the ICF accreditation?
After completing the Core Program, participants may opt to earn their ICF accreditation at no cost.
What if I start the Core Program, but find I don’t have enough time to commit to and complete the training?
There is no financial penalty for not completing the program, but please consider that the Coaching Academy is grant-funded, and if a participant drops out, that coaching position is lost to the program.
The Center for Executive Coaching (CEC) is an International Coaching Federation (ICF) approved training program that trains and certifies executive and leadership coaches from major organizations aroundaround the world. Graduates work with executives, managers, up -and-coming talent, professionals in career transition, and entrepreneurs in dynamic companies, government agencies and not-for-profit organizations like MaineHealth.