The COVID-19 pandemic has significantly impacted every community across the nation. Many people are facing new challenges such as food insecurity. Help is available if you or anyone you know is having difficulty accessing food during this time. Learn more below.
Local Food Resources
- Find local food pantries through the Good Shepard Food Bank Map Directory in Maine or the Carroll County Food Pantry Directory in New Hampshire.
- Learn about Maine schools providing meals to students during COVID-19.
- Find a farmer’s market near you through the Maine Federation of Farmers Markets Directory or the New Hampshire Department of Agriculture.
- Support your local farmers, fishermen, and other producers across Maine. Check out the Maine Cooperative Extension Maine Farm and Seafood Products Directory.
- Access the MaineHealth Community Resources online directory that lists free or reduced cost services like medical care, food, housing and more.
- Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) provides monetary monthly assistance that can be used to purchase food.
- The Maine Commodity Supplemental Food Program (CSFP) works to improve the health of low-income people at least 60 years of age by supplementing their diets with nutritious USDA commodity foods.
Looking to give back to your community? Helping others is a great way to manage stress and anxiety during a crisis.
- Want to lend a hand or tap into a specific skill? Explore the Maine Helps site to learn about volunteer opportunities.
- Feeding the Front Line is a national organization that works with local restaurants to deliver free meals to health care workers, first responders and others on the pandemic front line. This grassroots effort also helps feed those who are at high risk during the virus outbreak.
- Pay It Forward Maine is a collaborative community initiative to support local businesses, organizations, and citizens during the pandemic. Their website offers a growing library of ideas, tools, and resources for Mainers who want to pay it forward.
- Volunteer Maine is another online resource that helps Maine organizations and community members connect through volunteerism.
- Learn more about New Hampshire volunteer opportunities through Volunteer NH.