Thoracic Oncology (Esophageal and Lung Cancers)
Thoracic oncology services meet the needs of patients with tumors in the chest cavity. At MaineHealth, our medical teams provide complete care for patients with cancer of the lung, chest or esophagus.
What is thoracic oncology?
The word “thoracic” refers to the thorax or chest. It is the middle part of the body located between the neck and the stomach. Thoracic oncology refers to cancers that affect the chest. The most common are:
- Lung cancer, including:
- Non-small-cell lung cancer (NSCLC)
- Small-cell lung cancer (SCLC)
- Carcinoid tumors: a slow-growing tumor usually found in the gastrointestinal tract, or GI system, and sometimes in the lungs or other sites)
- Mesothelioma: a tumor affecting the lining of the chest or abdomen
- Esophageal cancer and pre-cancerous conditions