MaineHealth Releases Annual Health Index Report
April 04, 2017
MaineHealth has released its seventh annual Health Index Report, one of Maine’s most trusted barometers of progress on seven of the state’s most pressing health priorities: childhood immunizations, tobacco use, obesity, preventable hospitalizations, cardiovascular deaths, cancer deaths, and prescription drug abuse and addiction.
The Health Index Report is released in concert with the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation’s County Health Rankings, an annual snapshot comparing the overall health of nearly every county in the nation. Used as a benchmark for MaineHealth’s Health Index Report, the Rankings compare counties on 30 factors that influence health including education, housing, violent crime, jobs, diet, and exercise. Together, the two reports provide insight into community health trends, progress and challenges in Maine and across the country.
According to the Rankings, the healthiest county in Maine is Cumberland, while Washington County again ranks as the unhealthiest county. Franklin County ranked as the 6th healthiest county in Maine.
In Franklin County, this year’s Health Index Report and County Health Rankings revealed the following findings:
- Franklin County has one of the lowest rates of deaths due to drug overdose in the state.
- Franklin County has one of the highest smoking rates in the state.
- 55% of 2-year-olds cared for at Franklin Community Health Network were up-to-date on all 10 vaccines recommended for that age group. This was the highest up-to-date rate among MaineHealth member organizations as of September 2016.
- Franklin County’s ranking for Health Outcomes (current health status) improved in the County Health Rankings for the 3rd year in a row.
- Franklin County was one of only five counties in Maine where the premature death rate – a measure of years of potential life lost due to deaths before age 75 – decreased from 2011-2013 to 2012-2014.
Franklin Community Health Network is a member of the MaineHealth system. FCHN includes Franklin Memorial Hospital, Franklin Health medical practices, Evergreen Behavioral Services, NorthStar EMS, and the Healthy Community Coalition of Greater Franklin County.