SMHC Implements State-of-the-art Electronic Medical Record System
March 26, 2017
On March 25, 2017 Southern Maine Health Care (SMHC) went live with a state-of-the-art electronic medical record system. The new secure, system will provide patients with some significant benefits. These include:
- Providers at SMHC and most MaineHealth member facilities will have the most up-to-date information about each patient.
- Healthcare providers in different locations will have a better opportunity to work together to create a cohesive care plan for patients, since they can quickly share important information.
- Patients will have fewer forms to fill out as updated information appears in their electronic record instantly, and there will be no need to give a copy of their healthcare record to each MaineHealth provider they see.
- Patients will have quick and easy access to their health information using MyChart, a secure online portal that allows them to take a more active role in their healthcare. Using MyChart, patients can message their providers, view upcoming appointments, request prescription renewals, and access health information for loved ones.
- Patients will no longer need to have duplicate tests done as results from previous tests and lab work will be in their electronic record, saving them time, money, and worry.
The privacy and security of our patients is very important to us and SMHC has taken every precaution to ensure that only those providing patient care can see personal health information.
While employees at SMHC have undergone significant training on this new system, we do anticipate that our patients may encounter some delays during the first few weeks. We appreciate your patience and understanding during this time.