There are plenty of resources available for patients considering cardiothoracic surgery. Below you will find helpful information on some of our services as well as a couple of websites we've found to be the most helpful and reliable.
If your symptoms worsen or you become more concerned about your heart, call us right away at (207) 773-8161.
- A nurse will discuss what to expect during and after surgery with you and your family. Pre-admission testing is usually scheduled the day before surgery and takes approximately one and a half hours.
- If you develop a cold, respiratory infection or cough within a week of surgery, contact our office so that we can evaluate you. The risk of complications with surgery can be increased when you have a respiratory infections present, so your surgery may need to be delayed.
- It is important that you complete all necessary dental care prior to surgery.
- If you are taking Coumadin or Plavix, you must stop taking it five days prior to surgery to avoid bleeding problems after surgery. If you have coronary stints you may be admitted prior to stopping Plavix for intravenous anticoagulation.
- Do not have anything to eat or drink after midnight the night before your surgery.
- Take your usual prescription medications.
- Patients having open heart surgery who live more than 30 miles from Maine Medical Center have the option of staying at a local hotel the night before, at no cost. Please notify Maine Medical Partners – Cardiothoracic Surgery if you wish to participate in this program.