Melanoma Surgery & Treatment
Surgery is a common treatment for early stage melanoma
If the melanoma is very thin, it may be removed during the skin biopsy. No other treatment may be needed. Your doctor will remove the skin with cancer cells as well as a layer of healthy tissue around it.
Treatment for melanoma that has spread
- Lymph Node Surgery: If the cancer has spread to lymph nodes, your surgeon may choose to remove those lymph nodes with cancer.
- Chemotherapy: Chemotherapy drugs are used to kill cancer cells. The chemotherapy may be given through an IV or may be given in pill form.
- Radiation: Radiation therapy can be used to kill cancer cells.
- Biological therapy: Medications stimulate the body's own immune system to find and to fight the cancer.
- Targeted therapy: With targeted therapy, medicine is tailored to attack genetic weaknesses in cancer cells.