

**Date:** October 13, 2021  
**Time:** 12:00p.m.  
**Location:** via Zoom  
**Recurrence:** Monthly, 2nd Wednesday

**Minutes Submitted by:** Brian Batson  
**Minutes Edited by:** NAC Members  
**Previous Meeting Minutes (September 8th, 2021) Status:** Approved

Brian Batson (MMC) co-chair  
Emma Holder (PNA) co-chair  
Alvah Davis (WPNA)  
Nell Donaldson (CoP)  
Tim McNamara (SJVNA)  
Peter Hall (WENA)  
Anne Pringle (WPNA)  
Chaning Michele (LNA)  
Matt Wickenheiser (MMC)  
Jennifer McCarthy (MMC)  
Walter Pochebit (MMC)  
Lin Parsons (WENA)

**Key Topics Covered:**

1. **Construction/Property Update**
2. **Healthy Neighborhoods**
3. **Grant Funds**
4. **Co- Chair for 2022**
5. **Charter Discussion**

**Action Items / Decisions Made:**

1. **None**

*Meeting Minutes: Beginning*

**Discussion Surrounding Meeting Minutes**

Anne: when do the meeting minutes get posted to the MMC website? Is it before or after we edit? Sometimes there are things in the minutes that shouldn't necessarily be public information

Emma: They are posted after they go through the editing process. We receive them typically on the Friday after the meetings, members have the weekend to review, edits are compiled, then sent to Matt. That is the process.

Anne: Last set of minutes had some information that might not be appropriate to share with the public yet, that is why I question it. Do we need to be a lot more diligent when reviewing over the weekend?

Emma: That's the reason for sending them out over the weekend, so everyone can review and approve them for posting. Sometimes there is important information we have to get out there publicly (ie, helicopters, hospital information). Waiting could be deleterious. So that's the process, and yes everyone is expected to read through the minutes. If you don't respond, that is understanding that you accept them.

Anne: And I appreciate that.

Emma: The addenda that you made, Anne, is on the website for last month's minutes.

### **Discussion Surrounding Vacant Seat on NAC**

Tim: Has the Mayor been invited to this group?

Emma: I think Spencer has passed on the responsibility to her when he moved on.

Jennifer: I would love for her (to be here) I think she would be perfect, but that is different than what's in our bylaws and charter for who sits on this. So I heard through the grapevine that's what was happening. Is that the intended plan? Or just in the interim?

Nell: I didn't know that communication happened, that is new to me. I know that she has taken over for Spencer in a lot of formal roles. The intent is for the District Councilor to sit on these meetings. After November, a new councilor will be elected and will be sworn in sometime after that.

Brian: Councilor Thibodeau did not have a conversation with me about that. Once the new councilor is elected, if it pleases the group we can have a conversation with them about sitting in on the meeting in November and then officially joining once sworn in.

Emma: Since we do have in the bylaws a space for the City Counselor, maybe we should put "(or their designee)" because sometimes they can't make it and wish to send someone in their place. We could consider this possibility.

Anne: I do not support that, because it could lead to a rotating list of substitutes, a lack of consistency.

Emma: If they can't make it, we have no representation from the District?

Anne: They need to make a commitment to make it to the meetings. Meetings are set up a year in advance, no excuse to miss a meeting.

Emma: Except that Spencer is going to the Biden administration. So things do happen, we need to have some provision for that.

Anne: We need to have a commitment from the District 2 Councilor. They're an important voice for all of us.

Emma: Then we should have the District 3 Councilor here as well. This was discussed at great length when the Charter was adopted and the vote was that only the District 2 Councilor would be on the NAC.

Brian: I think this is a big enough topic where it would be a future agenda item. I can see the pros and cons. Given the fact that we're all adjusting to life differently. But we do need continuity and if the councilor cannot consistently make it to these meetings, having various proxies showing up- I can certainly see the downsides as well. I think this could be a larger agenda item.

Nell: I was just going to say the same thing Brian. You know, this is all in the charter. It was worked out with Spencer in the room. Maybe we put it on the agenda for a future meeting and engage the newly elected District 2 Councilor, District 3 if we feel we need to go there?

Brian: Good idea, we'll chat about it and put it on the agenda for future meetings.

### **Construction Updates**

Walter: In November, we have our next coming full day concrete pours. Very similar to what we has in September.

Recall those days were full days that started at 6am and ran though 5pm. Nov 8th, rain date Nov 11th. Next full day Nov 18th, rain date Nov 22nd. 5pm-10pm is finishing up on concrete. Last time, the concrete trucks came from Congress St. This time, the concrete truck will travel the entire length of Gilman Street.

Brian: Thank you- any questions or discussion?

Emma: We don't have a note taker here today, could you put that date in the chat. This is timely information.

Matt: Just so you know, I have that information that I'll be publishing. It's coming up in a few weeks. Construction update that I will send out.

Emma: I do find that neighbors react better if not surprised.

Brian: Apologies for not communicating this earlier, Samantha (note taker) had a prior commitment today. Between her and I, we'll get the minutes done.

Tim: If they're going all the way up Gilman, there are a few busy intersections and school kids. Please remind drivers to respect stop signs.

Walter: We will be sure to reinforce that.

Walter: Exterior wall of the Pizza Villa with the Greyhound mural. Scheduled to make repairs this fall. This is going to entail removing the outer layer of brick and replacing with wire mesh and sprayed on concrete material. Probably mid-November.

Tim: That's going to really change the look of that building.

Walter: It is. It's interesting, we had some engineering firms look into it. That exterior brick was actually built originally as an interior wall. It was not manufactured to be exposed to the elements. It needs to come down and be replaced. We looked at a lot of ways to replace it. This seems the best approach.

Tim: My understanding is it's not structural. It's a single course of brick. If you took that brick down, you have structural brick behind it. Right?

Walter: Tim, it's the same interior brick that's failing. It has to be sectoral and wrapped.

Tim: So the Greyhound sign will come down. Lousy.

Emma: I see an opportunity here for the SJVNA to commission a mural to beautify that wall. Maybe bring some Greyhound elements into it. Bring some artists into it. Yes, you're going to lose the old Greyhound mural. (Anne remarks that the greyhound logo could be trademarked. Emma looked into this and it is indeed a trademark since 1947)

Walter: yes, we will welcome input from neighborhood.

Tim: This is a perfect example of something that could've been brought to NAC a while ago, like when the barricades went up. You can't think that the neighbors wouldn't be ticked about it. This is the forum where it could've been brought.

Brian: Tim, that's what we're deciding right now.

Tim: No, it's already been decided, Brian.

Emma: But there are no other options it seems. I hear that it's going to be a loss. From a structural standpoint, it doesn't sound like there's another option. There is a forum and this is it. They said they're going to bring in the neighborhood to have input. It does seem like a lot of the boxes have been checked.

Tim: I think you're wrong Emma. I think it should've been brought to us when the barricades went up. I'll leave it at that.

Brian: Thanks, Tim, thanks, Emma.

Channing: I'm on the same page as Tim. Didn't this conversation come up before- keeping the Greyhound logo? It seemed like we were going to be able to keep it. Since it was brought up previously, I feel like it should've been brought up. I also feel like this falls under the preservation category. If there really is only one way, I would like to see some sort of guarantee for something more aesthetically pleasing. I am equally concerned, that's my two cents.

Brian: I think the historical context was when we were talking about the Food Pantry going into the Greyhound terminal. Mural discussion happened then, which is totally valid. This is a different context, in the sense that we're seeing a structural damage. Yes, this will not be as aesthetically pleasing. We are in fact keeping an open invite. We want to hear from all of you. That's part of the process we are discussing today.

Anne: My point is- it's in the SJV neighborhood. My understanding was that when these things come up, it should first be brought to the affected neighborhood association. That would be where Tim could bring up these questions and report back to us.

Jennifer: I certainly appreciate that. We do not have the capacity to go to every single neighborhood association, but that's what the point of this meeting is.

Anne: I'm talking about a phone call to Tim, not a meeting of the SJVNA.

Jennifer: It is still an extra step. Let me tie up where we are now. We learned recently that this is an opportunity, we haven't been sitting on it. Walter wanted to bring it to this group. We find that it serves this group better by meeting internally at MMC first to get knowledge and information first. This is by no means an end to this discussion, we wanted to bring it forward and discuss more offline.

Brian: thanks Jennifer. Appreciate the discussion.

Jennifer: Another construction update re: food pantry intended for the Greyhound building. It's still sitting with the City right now. We've been very open that it's not a long-term plan. When we turned it into the City for initial comments, there were some things that popped up that might be cost prohibitive. If it's going to be as high as it will be, we may have to abandon.

Tim: Who in the City is involved?

Walter: Building inspections, building permitting, probably residing in Zoning right now. It's gone through code compliance. The city Planning Department is reviewing documents submitted for building permit asked for a Certificate of Accessible Building Compliance from the architect. This was submitted and the Planning Department continues their review/processing of the building permit application.

Tim: The application I see is threadbare and the guy I spoke to said they're not even close. Have drawings been submitted.

Walter: Package was submitted about a month ago- they needed some more life safety drawings.

Brian: Nell, any clarifications?

Nell: I have a call into Zoning, I can't see from my vantage point.

Tim: Is community policing space still planned?

Walter: Yes, food pantry and community policing

Nell: timeline on Pizza Villa?

Walter: 4-5 weeks

Nell: long term plan for that block is altogether different

Tim: Why not just peel that first layer of brick off?

Walter: a few engineering reports tested the brick, and even the interior brick needs to be sealed

Jennifer: Walter to stay in touch with Tim. Does this group/everybody want to see final recommendations? Even if it's not in your neighborhood

Tim: Yes

Channing: Yes

Emma: I think if it's one of the 5 neighborhoods that abut, it should be brought to this group so we can have each other's backs.

Jennifer: Ok

Anne: This is why I think it's a backwards process. If it has been brought to the neighborhood first and agreed upon, then the other neighborhoods would have an easier time supporting it.

Jennifer: Ok, thanks Anne.

### **Updates on Properties**

Jennifer: Thomas and Chisolm House- all students have moved out. A couple were not happy. We've started the minor cleanup work, getting ready for sale. We've moved all to Crescent Heights. We want to make sure everyone is all set there, just covering our bases. Should be within the month. Malone Brothers listing it. Walter- anything to add?

Walter: No, good summary.

Jennifer: Some residents are staying in the Clarion. Going from the Western Prom to the Clarion.!

Anne: Will the Chisolm House lot be marketed separately?

Jennifer/Walter: Yes

Tim: Back to Greyhound building, I've been in touch with Jamie Grant (Director of Security at MMC). With the Chief leaving, plans have been with Facilities. Do you know who Jamie will be in contact with now that the Chief is leaving?

Walter: Not sure, I can ask Jamie.

Tim: That would be great. I'd really like this to move forward. We've been coming up on a year of an empty building there. It would be really beneficial to the neighbors to have some light in there before the dark of winter.

Brian: Interested in the process of hiring a new police chief.

### **COVID Update from Jennifer**

Anne: How are things going with COVID?

Jennifer: Numbers were going down, but its back up. Staffing situation is real. Worst month in the past 19 months. Please folks stay healthy! You do not want to be in the hospital right now. We're having to make some hard decisions.

Emma: This is not at all surprising. We had ample warning. Are all the cases Delta?

Jennifer: probably 70-80% are Delta. We can deal with the COVID patients. We cannot deal with the staffing situation. It's not fun right now. We have food truck outside right now as an appreciation event for our staff. Everyone asks "What can we do?". My answer: stay healthy.

### **Grant-Specific Questions**

Emma: We have a process for allocating funds generously granted by the hospital. What happens if a project goes awry? How would we redirect things when things don't go the way they should? Maybe the progress is moving fast enough or in the right direction. I wanted to throw it out there for discussion of what we would do in these problematic cases.

Alvah: I think we've probably all been waiting for a situation like that to come up. This is our first year getting progress reports. It would be nice to know along the way when something is complete. I think there's some open questions there.

Tim: we tied in progress report to latest funding application. I think it is simple enough to add language to request more frequent progress reports (6 months). We're going to be in a similar situation- cadets are becoming harder to find. We may not be able to find cadets in the future. I see myself coming to this group with a request to redirect funds in the future. Taking away single progress report requirement, and add in a 6 month request.

Alvah: Would that come back to the subcommittee? Then make recommendations to NAC?

Tim: I feel comfortable with it coming to NAC. I don't see the necessity of going to the subcommittee. I do miss sitting around your living room discussing things!

Anne: I sit on another board that makes grants and we receive requests to reallocate funds. It does happen. Grantees are told that they need approval of that Board to make changes to what was originally proposed. If minor, changes are approved by the Chair and reported to the full Board. If more substantive (either dollar amount or very different purpose) the request comes to the full Board for a decision. Emma: thanks Anne. What is major vs minor? Allocations are all over the board. I am heartened to hear that it's not just PNA running into issues. Do we pause our project, research and resume? Or is it requiring something that isn't necessary anymore? Should we reallocate? Reapproved or re-submitted?

Brian: Nell- is there anything legal that we need to be cognizant of?

Nell: We need to adhere to the structure that we laid out around these grants originally. Subcommittee makes recommendations to NAC. No legal pitfalls.

Anne: “If for whatever reason, you need to amend”... The other Board I am on has had a lot of people come back to us because of COVID. We can be equally understanding.

Nell: Someone needs to be keeping a record, I am happy to help.

Emma: Would it be helpful for the neighborhood to write up a request? That way it’s documented and clear.

Alvah: Practically speaking, a discussion could easily eat up the entire NAC meeting time.

Emma: Appropriate to make a motion here?

Nell: I think that’s a great idea Emma. That document was written by Brett. I don’t know if it was ever formally voted on. Maybe next meeting, we can look at it and rework?

Emma: I’d be happy to start, and hopefully offline bounce some ideas off the subcommittee.

Alvah/Nell: Happy to help.

Brian: Good plan moving forward.

### **Next Meeting Topics**

Construction Update

Maine Med COVID Update

District 2 Councilor Attendance

Grant Progress Reports/Redirection/Update to Grant Guidance

Property Updates- Greyhound, Thomas and Chisolm

*Meeting Minutes: End*

### **Adjourned**

**Next Meeting: November 10, 2021**

### **Zoom Link:**

<https://zoom.us/j/91871624329?pwd=N1ByZ3k1RzdMNVU0WlhneUhsaGhzZz09>

**Meeting ID: 918 7162 4329**

**Passcode: 6NgY2Z**

### **Acronym List:**

**CoP-** City of Portland

**LNA –** Libbytown Neighborhood Association

**MMC –** Maine Medical Center

**NAC –** Neighborhood Advisory Committee

**PNA-** Parkside Neighborhood Association

**SJVNA –** Saint John Valley Neighborhood Association

**SNF-** Skilled Nursing Facility



**WENA** – West End Neighborhood Association

**WPNA-** Western Promenade Neighborhood Association