Stay safe in the water
Suggestions when you're around water
Now that summer is around the corner, it's time to think about water safety -- whether you plan a trip to the beach, home or community pool, or a nearby lake.
The American Red Cross offers these safety tips:
• Always swim with a buddy; never swim alone.
• Swim in supervised areas only.
• Obey all rules and posted signs.
• Watch out for the "dangerous too's" -- too tired, too cold, too far from safety, too much sun, or too much strenuous activity.
• Don't mix alcohol and swimming. Alcohol impairs your judgment, balance and coordination, affects your swimming and diving skills, and reduces your body's ability to stay warm.
• Pay attention to local weather conditions and forecasts. Stop swimming at the first sign of bad weather.
• Know how to prevent, recognize and respond to emergencies.