|MAINE MEDICAL CENTER LIBRARY
The Archives are currently closed. Please contact the Library for assistance.
Email: email@example.com Phone: (207) 662-2202
Welcome to the Maine Medical Center Archives
Throughout its history, MMC has contributed to the evolution of the practice of medicine in Maine and the country. The Archives of Maine Medical Center was established in 1989 to acquire, preserve and provide access to the historical records of MMC and its predecessor institutions, The Maine Eye and Ear Infirmary, Children's Hospital, Brighton Medical Center and Maine General Hospital.
Among the resources in our collections are many items that have been donated. Please consider the Archives when you come across materials that might be of interest to our patrons.
Search EOS, our Library online catalog, for more information on the following:
The Archives holds approximately 3000 photographs, ranging from early views of Maine General Hospital to construction of the new Women and Infants Building. A selection may be viewed at the Maine Memory Network.
The remarkable history of MMC and its predecessor institutions is well documented in the minutes of various boards and committees, and hospital annual reports.
- Additional Archival items
Among our other archival items are hospital newsletters, scrapbooks, video and audio tapes, yearbooks, departmental records and memorabilia.
The Archives maintains a collection of medical equipment, instruments and other artifacts, dating from c. 1850.
We have a set of taped and transcribed interviews with some of our medical and administrative personnel, past and present.
The Historic Book Collection contains approximately 1000 monographs which cover a wide range of medical disciplines, dating from 1767. These items are stored offsite in a closed area and advance notice is needed for access.
The Archives has an extensive collection of resources on the history of the nursing school at MMC and limited material related to other area schools. There are several uniforms, numerous photographs and memorabilia from the first graduation in 1887 until the school closed in 1967. We do not have school transcripts.