Annual Wellness Visit Requirements
CMS has identified elements required for a first Annual Wellness Visit service and a subsequent AWV service.
As of January 2012, the patient must complete a Health Risk Assessment (HRA) before the face-to-face encounter. You can download and print the HRA in large font or a two-page version.
The first Annual Wellness Visit includes:
- Health Risk Assessment
- Establishment of individual's medical and family history
- Establishment of a list of current providers and suppliers that are regularly involved in providing medical care to the individual, and medications including supplements
- Measurement of individual height, weight, BMI (or waist circumference, if appropriate) BP and other routine measurements as deemed appropriate, based on the beneficiary's medical / family history
- Review of the completed Health Risk Assessment
- Detection of any potential cognitive impairment
- Review of the individual's potential (risk factors) for depression, including current or past experiences with depression or other mood disorders
- Review of individual's functional ability and level of safety
- Establishment of a written screening schedule or checklist for the next 5-10 years, based on the recommendations by the United States Preventive Services Task Force (USPSTF) and the Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP), as well as the individual's health
- Establishment of a list of risk factors and conditions for which primary, secondary, or tertiary interventions are recommended or are underway for the individual, including any mental health conditions or any such risk factors or conditions that have, and a list of treatment options and their associated risks and benefits
- Furnishing of personalized health advice to the individual and a referral, as appropriate