Strategic Plan Implementation
Our goal is to improve healthcare satisfaction among patients and families. A strong continuum of care is critical to meet this goal. The continuum of care includes independent living, assisted living, acute rehabilitation, skilled nursing and long-term care facilities, adult day health, home health, outpatient rehabilitation, community services, and hospice and palliative care. Working with our partners from all MaineHealth members and affiliates, we will implement a strategic plan that includes the following:
- Helping patients and their families prepare for safe, successful transitions as they move from one healthcare setting to another or back home.
- Making it easier for older adults to access programs in their communities that enable them to stay healthy and live independently.
- Developing a plan that helps patients and their families navigate through the healthcare system with ease.
The Falls Prevention workgroup includes members from MaineHealth long-term care facilities, home health and rehabilitation. This group is working to improve quality and safety through a system-wide fall-prevention plan to decrease falls and fall-related injuries among older adults.
Geriatric Education and Training
It's critical to expand the existing expertise in geriatrics throughout the MaineHealth system. Elder Care Services, Clinical Integration, MaineHealth Education Services, and the Division of Geriatrics and Division of Palliative Care are developing a plan to improve geriatric education for clinicians and paraprofessionals at all levels.
Palliative Care in Long-Term Care
The Palliative Care in Long-Term Care workgroup includes members from long-term care facilities in MaineHealth communities. This group will conduct a needs assessment and develop a plan to provide palliative care in long-term care settings. It will also develop a plan to provide palliative care education to long-term care staff.
MaineHealth Partner Initiatives
The Elder Care Services team also participates in related MaineHealth and statewide partner initiatives, including the Transitions of Care Advisory Committee; the Preventive Health, Palliative Care, Patient Experience and HomeHealth workgroups; the MaineHealth Health Index; the Maine Culture Change Coalition; and Healthy Choices for ME! Statewide Coordinating Council. ECS also collaborates with the Maine Medical Center Division of Geriatrics and the MMC Physician Hospital Organization.
- Transitions of Care Advisory Committee
- Palliative Care Workgroup
- Home Health Workgroup
- Health Index
- Patient Experience Workgroup
- Preventive Health Workgroup
- Learning Resource Center
- Maine Medical Center Division of Geriatrics
- MMC PHO Care Transitions
Statewide Partner Initiatives
- Maine Culture Change Coalition
- Healthy Choices for ME!