About MaineHealth Government Relations
As the largest health system in the state, MaineHealth plays a vital role as a healthcare provider and employer in Maine. With a presence in 11 of Maine's 16 counties and employing more than 14,500 full-time-equivalent jobs through our member and affiliate organizations, MaineHealth has a deep commitment to the health and success of the state.
With one of the oldest and poorest state populations in the country, Maine faces significant challenges in maintaining a healthy population. Our focus on quality, safety, accessibility, cost of care and community health guides our efforts to deliver exceptional care to our patients and improve the health status of our communities.
Operating at the intersection of the health, business, education, not-for-profit and public spheres, we feel a responsibility to advocate for policies that best promote the health of the people of Maine. MaineHealth believes taking a leadership role in public policy is a critical element of working together so our communities are the healthiest in America.
- Full-time equivalents:
14,627 (members and affiliates)
- Charity care & bad debt (data reflect actual cost of providing care): $190,859,986
- Outpatient visits to MaineHealth hospitals: 4,188,662
- Emergency department visits to MaineHealth hospitals: 157,823
- Outpatient surgeries in MaineHealth hospitals: 35,078
- Inpatient surgeries in MaineHealth hospitals: 16,814
- Births in MaineHealth hospitals: 3,915
- Number of physicians working in MaineHealth member and affiliate hospitals: 1,514