(HealthDay News) -- If you want to trim calories and lose weight, making a few substitutions at each meal can add up to big savings.
The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention offers these suggestions:
- Skip cheese and extra meat on your sandwich in favor of healthier vegetables, such as tomatoes, cucumbers or lettuce.
- Pair a sandwich with a side salad or fruit, instead of French fries or chips.
- Instead of soups with meat or a creamy base, opt for broths and vegetables.
- Enjoy a salad, but don't douse it with dressing. Instead, dip your fork in dressing before each bite.
- If you're ordering a restaurant entree, opt for a broth-based soup or a salad as your side item.
Copyright © 2016 HealthDay. All rights reserved.