(HealthDay News) -- A knee brace offers support and stability for an injured or weak knee. But it must be worn properly.
The American Academy of Family Physicians offers these guidelines:
- Your doctor may suggest wearing a knee brace during sports.
- Put the brace on properly, so the hinges line up with the bend of the knee.
- Make sure the fasteners are properly applied around the leg.
- As you exercise, check the brace occasionally to make sure that it hasn't slipped out of position.
- There are different types of knee braces. They may be recommended after knee surgery or an injury, such as a torn ligament.
Copyright © 2015 HealthDay. All rights reserved.