Print This Page Print    Email to a Friend Email

Health Tip: Enjoying a Holiday Fire

Take precautions to keep it safe

(HealthDay News) -- A fire can be a cozy way to keep warm during winter, but it can be dangerous if you don't take precautions.

The University of Michigan Health System recommends:

  • Placing smoke detectors outside every bedroom and on each level of your home.
  • Using a fireplace screen that can keep sparks from flying out. Be sure to remove boughs, paper and holiday decorations from the area before you light a fire.
  • Using the fireplace only when you are home and awake.
  • Taking care when burning fire salts to add color to your fire. They can be dangerous if a young child ingests them.
  • Avoid burning greenery or wrapping paper in the fireplace.


Copyright © 2015 HealthDay. All rights reserved.




465 Congress Street Suite 600 | Portland, Maine 04101-3537 | (207) 775-7001