(HealthDay News) -- Exercise can boost mood and maintain fitness, but it can be a challenge during cold weather.
The Texas Heart Institute advises:
- If you're not in good shape, start exercising gradually.
- If you're heading to a high-altitude area, allow time to adjust to the altitude.
- Layer clothing, which you can peel off as you exercise. Be sure to cover your head, mouth, hands and feet.
- During the day, wear sunscreen and sunglasses. At night, wear reflective clothing.
- Don't drink alcohol, but do drink plenty of water.
- Pay attention to wind chill, the direction of the wind and watch for signs of frostbite or hypothermia.
Copyright © 2015 HealthDay. All rights reserved.